• Is the purpose of CPS to take children out of the home?
  • Does CPS provide foster Care Services?
  • What system is in place to protect children?
More »


More »
Apply for a Board or Commission Banner Image

Apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Application Instructions:

Instructions for New & Renewal Concealed Handgun Permits
  1. Fill out the State Police's Concealed Handgun Application.
    1. You must attach a photocopy of documentation that demonstrates your competence with a handgun for initial permits only.(i.e. Firearms Training Certificate, Hunter Safety Training Certificate, Military Discharge Papers DD214, Copy of an old Concealed Handgun Permit)
    2. The application must be signed in front of a notary or clerk/deputy clerk.
    3. For Renewals please include a copy of your Concealed Handgun Permit.
  2. Mail or deliver the application to the Bedford County Circuit Court Clerk's Office with a $50 check or money order. Fingerprints are no longer required.
    1. Mailing Address: PO Box 63, Dinwiddie, VA 23841
    2. Physical Address: 123 East Main Street, Ste 201, Bedford, VA 24523
  3. The Clerk’s Office will submit the completed application to the Dinwiddie County Sheriff’s Office for completion of a criminal history record check.
  4. Once the Sheriff has completed the criminal history record check the Clerk or Judge will sign an order approving or denying the permit.
    1. If your permit is approved, the Clerk’s Office will prepare your permit.
    2. If your permit is denied, you are entitled to an ore tenus hearing within 21 days.
    3. Please refer to pages of the State Police Application for further instructions concerning concerning Concealed Handgun Permits.
  5. After the permit is approved, the Clerk’s Office will then mail you the signed permit.
    1. It should take about 45 days upon receipt from the Sheriff's Department.
    2. If it has been more than 45 days please call the Clerk's Office and we will inform you of your permit status.