The annual budget serves as the foundation of the County’s financial planning and control. All County departments submit appropriation requests to the Fiscal Management department on or about December 1st each year. The budget committee uses the departmental requests as a starting point for developing a proposed budget. After extensive budget preparation, citizen engagement, and a Board review process that includes multiple work sessions and a public hearing, the Board of Supervisors adopts the annual budget.
Current Budget – Fiscal Year 2017
Bedford County’s 2017 Fiscal Year runs from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. The Fiscal Year 2017 Budget was adopted on April 25, 2016. Download the complete Adopted Budget (PDF) here.
- The Fiscal Year 2017 Adopted Budget for all funds is $169.4 million, a 2.2% increase from the prior year.
- The County’s Fiscal Year 2017 Adopted Budget for general fund only is $94.6 million, a 3.4% increase from the prior year.
- The School’s Fiscal Year 2017 Adopted Budget is $99.0 million, a 5.4% decrease from the prior year.
Major sources of general fund revenue for Fiscal Year 2017:
- Real Property Taxes - $42.6 million or 45.0% of total general fund revenues
- Other Property Taxes - $18.2 million or 19.2% of total general fund revenues
- Commonwealth Revenues - $15.6 million or 16.5% of total general fund revenues
Major general fund expenditures by function:
- Education - $37.5 million or 39.6% of total general fund expenditures
- Public Safety - $17.3 million or 18.3% of total general fund expenditures
- Health & Welfare - $11.8 million or 12.5% of total general fund expenditures
- Tax rates (per $100 assessed value) for Calendar Year 2016 were not changed.A list of the current tax rates can be found here.