You may download the application form in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. Print out the completed form and send it to us at the address below. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the file. Click HERE to download Acrobat Reader. It's free.
All paper applications can be mailed to:
Attn: Department of Human Resources
122 East Main Street
Bedford, VA 24523
- Salary/Pay Rate:Competitive
- Posted Date:04/02/2019
- Application Outside Link www.2020census.gov/jobs
In advance of the 2020 Census, the U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting thousands of people for temporary jobs across the country.
These positions provide the perfect opportunity to earn some extra income while helping your community. The results of the 2020 Census will help determine each state’s representation in Congress, as well as how certain funds are spent for schools, hospitals, roads, and more. This is your chance to play a part in history and help ensure that everyone in your community is counted!
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
- Have access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, unless public transportation is readily available.
- Have access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).
If you are employed elsewhere, your current job must be compatible with Census Bureau employment and not create conflicts of interest. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Also, you must not engage in any partisan political activity while on duty.
The Census Bureau is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit our Equal Employment Opportunity page.
If you are a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veterans’ preference. Documentation supporting your claim for preference must accompany your application. For more information, visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Veterans’ Preference page.
If you meet these qualifications, take the next step toward joining our team! The application process takes about 30 minutes. You will need to provide your Social Security number, home address, email address, phone number, and your date and place of birth.
For jobs with the Department of Social Services, you must use a state application form.
Internal Job applicants must use the Employee Transfers Policy.
Or you can call 586-7601 to ask for a form to be mailed to you. You can also pick up the form in person at the Bedford County Administration Building, 2nd Floor, 122 East Main Street, Bedford.