Transparency in government is important to Bedford County, we strive to alert the public to all public information, news advisories, releases and we work to distribute public publications to address questions, issues and concerns of the public.
Board of Supervisors Resolution 042720-08 Urging Governor Northam to Reopen Businesses
A full copy of the resolution can be accessed HERE.
April 28, 2020
Governor Ralph Northam
P.O. Box 1475
Richmond, VA 23218
Dear Governor Ralph Northam:
During their April 27, 2020 meeting, the Bedford County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the attached resolution urging you to reopen businesses by or before May 8, 2020, which coincides with the current expiration of Executive Order #53.
The resolution outlines their rationale for this request but in short, the Board believes this is the correct pathway for the following reasons:
- Bedford County and other rural Virginia counties have significantly less cases per capita than metro areas, but are being treated by a one-size fits all statewide solution.
- There is enough capacity in local and regional hospitals to treat COVID-19 patients.
- The number of new COVID-19 cases per day have generally reached a plateau. Bedford County has a total of 25 cases.
- Thousands of Central Virginia citizens are out of work, including 3,175 in Bedford County since March 14th.
- Virginia residents and businesses are much more educated regarding health safeguards than when this public health crisis started and are therefore more prepared to safely open.
In conclusion, please put your faith in the capable and responsible hands of the citizens and businesses of this great State and allow those deemed “non-essential” to return to work under specific public health guidelines.
cc: Senator Steve Newman
Delegate Kathy Byron
Delegate Terry Austin
Delegate Wendell Walker