The annual budget serves as the foundation of the County’s financial planning and control. All County departments submit appropriation requests to the Fiscal Management department on or about December 1st each year. The budget committee uses the departmental requests as a starting point for developing a proposed budget. After extensive budget preparation, citizen engagement, and a Board review process that includes multiple work sessions and a public hearing, the Board of Supervisors adopts the annual budget.
Budget Quick Facts
Current Budget – Fiscal Year 2018
Bedford County’s 2018 Fiscal Year runs from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018. The Fiscal Year 2018 Budget was adopted on April 24, 2017. Download the complete Adopted Budget (PDF) here.
- The Fiscal Year 2018 Adopted Budget for all funds is $182.4 million, a 7.7% increase from the prior year.
- The County’s Fiscal Year 2018 Adopted Budget for general fund only is $106.0 million, a 12.0% increase from the prior year.
- The School’s Fiscal Year 2018 Adopted Budget is $102.5 million, a 3.5% increase from the prior year.
- Major sources of general fund revenue for Fiscal Year 2018:
- Major general fund expenditures by function:
- Tax rates (per $100 assessed value) for Calendar Year 2017 were not changed. A list of the current tax rates can be found here.