Patrons must have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery
BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY BELIEVED TO BE CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION
All Rec Football/Cheer are cancelled for today Saturday September 15! Also Cancelled is : All Baseball at FYAA All Baseball at County Rec. All Soccer at County Rec All Soccer in Moneta All Soccer is Huddleston All Soccer in Stewartsville
ATTENTION! We need your help. We would like to add more vehicles to this years Touch-A-Truck event at Montvale Park. Last year was a Huge Success. Anyone who would be interested in displaying a vehicle or farm equipment (tractors etc.) for the children to climb on and explore please call (540) 586-7682 or message us.
With the fall season starting Saturday, We want to challenge parents and all spectators who will come out and watch this season. Do you Dare to Chill? Please take a moment and remember that we do not have instant replay at our fields and it's hard enough to find referees. Please understand that this is a participation league. So if you have issues with anything, you can let staff know or you are more than welcome to call or e mail the parks and recreation office after your game (on Monday after a Saturday game). We cannot help you if your issue is about missed calls. The referees are human and will make mistakes. We dare you to chill on the sidelines as you watch the games. Your attitude on the sidelines goes a long way in promoting a fun environment for everyone. Be a positive example for the kids. #DareToChill
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300 and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct canning procedures
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Processing procedure, time or temperature will NOT be changed. Recommended procedures and processing schedules observed.
Required. Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled). Violators will be asked to leave.
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured. No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed.
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficient help to prepare and process food within allotted time.
Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray. No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.