Patrons must have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery
BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY BELIEVED TO BE CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION
Taste of the Trails 2018 brought to you by Beale's Runners, Bikers, Hikers, Walkers.. Whether you're looking to set a new PR or you're looking for a more casual experience. This event is for you. Participants will receive an event T-shirt, pint glass, bottle and bag (guaranteed with pre-registration) as well being entered to win some of the more than $750.00 worth of prizes that will be given away during the after party at Beale's (must be present to win). Sponsors: Blackwater Bike Shop , Bikes Unlimited, Scene 3 boardshop , East Coasters Bike Shop-Roanoke, Sun Solutions, Blue Ridge Overland Gear, Peaks Coaching Group, Fleet Feet Sports Roanoke, Mountain Khakis Bedford County Parks & Recreation Visit Bedford Virginia Additional Information: https://bedfordtrails.wordpress.com/taste-of-the-trails/ Registration: https://www.bikereg.com/taste-of-the-trails
Parents/Coaches/Players, With the baseball and softball season fast approaching, Parks and Recreation staff have been working diligently to have everything in place to start the season. However, it is becoming evident that there is an umpire shortage this season. This shortage is not unique to any one particular area in the county. While recruiting and training of umpires remains constant, the number of people who desire to umpire are limited. As a result, some scheduled games may not have umpires and coaches may be called upon to serve as umpires. Please understand that every effort will be made to ensure all games have umpire coverage. If you or someone you know would like to umpire this season, please contact Parks and Recreation at 540-586-7682 to get signed up. It is a paid position! Thank you for your understanding. Let's have a great season!
Informational Meeting for the Bedford Recreation Association to be held April 23rd.
Its getting close to the first baseball/softball games of the season.We are still in need of umpires for this upcoming season. This is a paid position. Very flexible. Please help us in spreading the word. Please call 540-586-7682 if interested.
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300 and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct canning procedures
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Processing procedure, time or temperature will NOT be changed. Recommended procedures and processing schedules observed.
Required. Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled). Violators will be asked to leave.
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured. No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed.
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficient help to prepare and process food within allotted time.
Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray. No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.