Patrons must have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery
BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY BELIEVED TO BE CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION
Join us for the first Movie in the Park presented by Centra for the summer. Beauty and the Beast (2017) will be the featured movie on Saturday, June 23rd at Falling Creek Park. Movie will start at dark (approximately around 8:45 p.m.).
On site registrations Tomorrow Saturday June 16th for Soccer, fall baseball/softball, tackle football,flag football, and cheer leading. Huddleston Elem: 8am-10am Big Island Elem 9am to 11am Moneta Elem: 11am-1pm Montvale Elem 12pm to 2pm Stewartsville Elem: 2pm-4pm Parks and Recreation office 3pm to 5pm
🚨🚨 Attention Huddleston, Moneta, and Stewartsville, I will be at all three locations this Saturday to sign up for Fall Sports.🚨🚨 Huddleston: 8am-10am Moneta: 11am-1pm Stewartsville: 2pm-4pm
We have had such an overwhelming response to some of our camps that we have added two additional weeks. Magic Fairy camp(held at the Bedford Rec Office) for ages 4+ will be July 16 - July 20 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. and $75.00 per participant. Art Camp (held at the Forest Rec Center) for ages 5-9 will be July 23 - July 27 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and $65.00 per participant. For more information or to register please call 586-7682 or go to www.bedfordcountyva.gov
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300 and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct canning procedures
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Processing procedure, time or temperature will NOT be changed. Recommended procedures and processing schedules observed.
Required. Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled). Violators will be asked to leave.
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured. No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed.
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficient help to prepare and process food within allotted time.
Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray. No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.