Patrons must have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery
BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY BELIEVED TO BE CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION
We are looking for Umpires! If you are looking to make some extra money and love baseball/softball this could be perfect for you. Must be at least 16. Call 540-586-7682 to pre- register
Spring 2018 Parks and Recreation Newsletter.
We still have a few more spots left if you want to sell at the Community Yard Sale on March 24th. Please call 540-586-7682 and get your spot before we are sold out!
Parents, As basketball season is coming to a close we would like the public's input as to how the season went. Please take a moment to answer a short survey so we can improve for next season. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N28F937
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300 and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct canning procedures
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Processing procedure, time or temperature will NOT be changed. Recommended procedures and processing schedules observed.
Required. Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled). Violators will be asked to leave.
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured. No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed.
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficient help to prepare and process food within allotted time.
Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray. No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.