Patrons must have cans checked and payment made before leaving the cannery
BEDFORD COUNTY DISCLAIMS ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURY TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY BELIEVED TO BE CAUSED BY THE CANNING OPERATION
“If we all take the requested measures seriously, we can create a safer environment for all of us. As we all contemplate about what is best for our families, let us also pause before acting and consider what is safest for our community.” Bedford County Administrator, Robert Hiss addresses the community to reiterate the importance of taking every necessary precaution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXIziDrL0c&feature=youtu.be
COUNTY OF BEDFORD, VIRGINIA County Administration Building 122 East Main Street, Suite 202 Bedford, Virginia 24523 Tel: (540) 586-7601 ADMINISTRATION For immediate release: March 27, 2020 Contact: Robert Hiss, County Administrator, email@example.com, (540) 586-7601 Bedford County Playgrounds, Pavilions, and Skate Park Closing Bedford, Va. (March 27, 2020) - The coronavirus continues to spread in the local area with three cases confirmed in Bedford County. The CDC has recommended for several weeks to limit interpersonal interactions; to assist in this effort, Bedford County government will be closing all park amenities that contain touch points, effective immediately. This includes all playground equipment, fitness equipment, pavilions, and the skate park. Restrooms at all County parks were closed to the public last week. These closures will be re-evaluated as conditions evolve.Trails and open areas of the parks will remain available for the public to use, but residents are urged to practice extreme caution if choosing to visit these spaces. Remember to maintain social distance from anyone outside of your household, eliminate touching unnecessary objects and surfaces, and wash your hands frequently. Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19 and should avoid public areas whenever possible. Local Information Resources: • For the latest updates on how COVID-19 is effecting our area, please visit https://www.bedfordcountyva.gov/about-bedford/covid-19 National and State Resources: Citizens are also encouraged to visit the links below for the most current information. • www.cdc.gov/COVID19 • http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/
For more than 50 years Bedford County has operated a community cannery at New London Academy for the benefit of gardeners who want to preserve their harvest. (Besides produce, the cannery can also preserve meat, by appointment only). The cannery accommodates #300 and #2-1/2 cans and provides the work space, sinks and supplies. The cannery is open to everyone, whether they live in the county or not.
- Instructors may instruct each user in correct canning procedures
- Instructors are not permitted to do canning for anyone.
- All food containers (cans) must be marked with the patron number assigned.
- Responsibility for marking is the responsibility of the patron
- Each patron must clean up after each operation and remove garbage, wash equipment and leave area clean by washing tabletop and sink.
- Processing procedure, time or temperature will NOT be changed. Recommended procedures and processing schedules observed.
Required. Preparation and processing procedures in the cannery must conform to state food regulations for community canneries.
- People using facilities must observe safety precautions (steam is dangerous if not properly handled). Violators will be asked to leave.
- Children under age 15 will not be permitted in the processing room
- All patrons must observe strict sanitary practices. Wear clean protective clothing (no shorts or halters), closed toe shoes, hands clean, long hair pulled back and secured. No smoking, tobacco chewing or spitting in drains allowed.
- No off-grade or spoiled products shall be canned or brought into the cannery. Excessively dirty produce shall be washed at home prior to cannery appointment.
- Patrons must bring sufficient help to prepare and process food within allotted time.
Each patron is expected to follow through completed canning operations. Be sure to remove containers of food from retort basket or crate as soon as crate of canned foods are removed from cooling water bath spray. No equipment, pots, pans or utensils are to be removed from the cannery.